How you can be a role model
Firstly you can’t really choose to be a role model for someone, what you can do is model positive behaviours for the people around you and then they may choose to model their relationships off yours.
Being a role model is about actually having a healthy, (mostly) happy relationship, it isn’t about having a particular lifestyle.
Every relationship is unique, and people who model their relationship off yours may take just certain elements of yours and adapt it to their own.
Generally speaking a good role model relationship will be one where everyone involved will treat each other with respect, clearly actually like each other a lot and who can work with what life throws at them.
You can role model healthy relationship behaviours, not just through your own romantic relationships, but through the way you interact with everyone in your life.
You can help people around you with their own relationship by:
- openly disapproving of hurtful or abusive acts that you may witness
- openly resolving conflict in respectful ways like genuinely apologizing within earshot of others
- respectfully sharing stories about both good and hard times
- celebrating good times with those around you
- being a support for people when they need you